What a session looks like
Your A-life coach will set out 20-25 hands-on activities around the room, so that children are never waiting to use equipment, they are engaged with a fun activity at all times. Each activity station has its own topic, hands-on equipment to explore, an information board and an activity card.
The stations are age-appropriate, with 4 difficulty levels that can be changed at any time to suit even the most diverse class or mixed age group (including special needs). Your coach will work with you to make sure all children are challenged and get the most out of the session.
Children will be put into small groups and, after a short introduction from your A-life coach, head off to one of the action-packed activity stations.
At the end, your coach will round off the session with a short group discussion to consolidate the learning, focussing on a key theme (or themes) of your choice. Children will also be told about the online 7 day challenge to follow up what they have learnt.
- Piece together the human body, exploring the function of each organ
- Use puzzles to explore different fruits and vegetables and getting 5 a day
- Explore how many grams of sugar and salt are in some favourite drinks and snacks
- Watch a short DVD to discover new ways of keeping fit and active
- Play different games that show where food comes from, how food grows and foods from around the world
- Use maths to shop to a budget
- Put on a fat belt and work out how heavy it is
- Investigate the nutritional values of different foods
- Use life-like foods to discover what a balanced diet is all about
- Simulate the effects of drinking too much alcohol, testing its effect on our balance and ability to walk (Year 5 upwards. Always supervised by an adult.)
- Follow directions around a map to different takeaways
- Check out their tooth brushing technique and see how their personal hygiene is
- Find out how much sleep they need and whether they are getting it
- Sort household items into ‘safe’ and ‘unsafe’ bins
…And LOADS more!
Our Healthy Workshops usually go hand in hand with our Fitness Sessions